Karen Varcoe, Gresham OR kvarcoe@aol.com 503 267 6080

Sunday, July 19, 2015

England Day 2

Our first full day in England was also the first full day od the tube (subway) strike.  So that was the perfect day to do castles and palaces a bit outside of town.  All the train connections worked very well, but I had left my oyster (transport card wit money on it) at the hotel.  I'd  forgotten that I would need to show it at the train station even tho we bought train tickets.  The nice conductor waved me through and we were off!  We went to Windsor first, weekend home of the queen and a beautiful old castle!






Next we went to Hampton Court Palace, Henry the 8th'S  home (among others).  It's  famous for its maze.  I found the kitchens fascinating.   Very large scale!  We actually made it through to the center and back out!  Got lucky!
 Megan hanging out with the court beggars in the palace courtyard.


 Chocolate kitchen!  Imagine that, a whole kitchen just for chocolate!
 Serving dishes were rare.  The solution?  Put everything in a piecrust, eat the contents and throw away the "bowl"!

 Snack at the Tilting Yard Cafe!
 Ta da!  Center of the maze!

No comments: